Matroska is a new multimedia container format, based on EBML (Extensible Binary Meta Language), which is a kind of binary XML. MKVToolNix is cross-platform tools for Matroska.
MKVToolnix recently released its 5.3.0 verison with following changes:
1. Several fields have been added to mkvmerge’s verbose identification output.
2. File type identification and a segfault have been fixed for DTS files.
3. File type detection for (E)AC3 files has been improved.
4. mkvextract’s “timecodes_v2″ mode uses the same track IDs as mkvmerge’s identification mode outputs again.
5. An invalid memory access with certain broken Matroska files has been fixed.
6. mkvmerge can read input files as if they were part of a single huge file.
7. mkvmerge can extract and use the audio encoder delay information stored in MP4 files as written by iTunes
To Install MKVToolNix in Ubuntu:
First to import public GPG key with this command:
wget -O - http://www.bunkus.org/gpg-pub-moritzbunkus.txt | sudo apt-key add -
Then edit the source by:
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
11.10 oneiric add following lines (other releases replace oneiric):
deb http://www.bunkus.org/ubuntu/oneiric/ ./ deb-src http://www.bunkus.org/ubuntu/oneiric/ ./
Now update and install MKVToolNix by:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install mkvtoolnix mkvtoolnix-gui